Medieval Naming Guides: Greek
Classical and Byzantine Greek Names
- Classical Greek Names
- A Lexicon of Greek Personal Names
- This website presents the work of an academic research project at
Oxford University, an index of all known ancient Greek personal names
from sources up to approximately the 6th century. Names are listed in
Greek characters, by region, and are in three formats: Symbol font,
SPIonic font (available for free download), and Unicode. Not all
options work in all browsers. There is
also a simple name search
form, with results in Symbol font, and a
of both. (Note that the complex search may include more data.) They have a
introduction to ancient Greek naming customs and
index to their data with links to statistics on the data from
each region of Greece, including tables of the most popular names
for men and women.
- Greek Names with Scytho-Sarmatian Roots, by Ursula Georges
- Masculine and feminine names found in Greek inscriptions from towns near the Black Sea with possible Scythian or Sarmatian roots.
- Greek Personal Names,
Monumenta Asiae Minoris Antiqua XI: Monuments from Phrygia and Lykaonia
- Greek names from inscriptions found in modern Turkey. Listed alphabetically by nominative Greek form, followed by the original spelling and a link to full inscription information.
- Medieval Greek Names
Common Names of the Aristocracy in the Roman Empire During the
6th and 7th Centuries, by Bardas Xiphias
- Lists of masculine and feminine names found in Byzantine records, with
Personal Names of the Aristocracy in the Roman Empire during
the Later Byzantine Era, by Bardas Xiphias
- A thorough discussion of name structure, with tables of masculine and
feminine given names and of surnames.
- Prosopography of the Byzantine World Database
- Part of the Prosopography of the Byzantine World. Lists biographical and textual information about tenth- and eleventh-century Byzantine men and women, alphabetized by a Romanized form of the given name.
- A Short (and rough) Guide to Byzantine Names for SCA Personae, by Hrolf Herjolfsson
- A compilation of given names and family names, along with extensive discussion of name formation. Non-personal names, such as names of towns, geographical features, occupations, and titles, are also discussed.
Names of Lay Propietors in the Themes of Thessaloniki and Strymon in
the 2nd Half of the 13th and 14th Century, by Maridonna Benvenuti
- Names of members of the lower nobility, mostly masculine but some
Early 14th Century Byzantine Names of Macedonia, by Maridonna
- Masculine and feminine given names and bynames.
- Names of 14th-15th C. Thessalonian Lesser Aristocrats, by Maridonna Benvenuti
- Names of soldiers and civic office holders from the city of Thessalonike,
recorded in Venice. Some of the given names have been changed to modern English forms.
The Medieval Names Archive is published by
the Academy of Saint Gabriel and
Sara L. Uckelman. It was historically published by
© 1997-2013. Copyright on individual articles belongs to their