Medieval Naming Guides: General Information
General Information on Medieval Naming
- WWW Names Pages for Medievalists to
- People compile names lists for lots of reasons, mostly for reasons
having nothing to do with medieval re-creation. Baby name lists,
genealogical databases, character naming guides for gamers -- they all have
their uses, but choosing a medieval name isn't one of them. We've reviewed
some of the most popular name lists on the web and listed those that you
- Choosing a Society Name: Hints for
Newcomers, by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von
- Some guidelines for novices, including hints on how to avoid common
The Tale of Tangwystyl; or It's Your Name and You Can Change If You
Want To, by Heather Rose Jones
- We've heard from lots of people who chose their names when they
were new to the Society and ended up with names that they
know aren't very medieval. They'd prefer to have more
authentic names, but are afraid that getting everyone to use the
new name will be impossible. This article proves that it isn't
very difficult at all, even for someone with a Society-wide
- A Brief Introduction to Medieval Bynames,
by Talan Gwynek and Arval Benicoeur
- A general discussion of the types of surnames used in medieval
European languages, illustrated with English examples, but also including a
bibliography of sources useful for choosing medieval bynames.
The Latinization of Names in the Middle Ages, by Nicolaa de
- Many -- and perhaps most -- of our personae would have written their
names in Latin at least some of the time.
- Some heraldic and onomastic books found for free online, by Wenyeva atte grene
- An annotated list of name and heraldry books available in whole or part.
The Medieval Names Archive is published by
Ursula Georges. It was historically published by the Academy of Saint Gabriel.
Copyright on individual articles belongs to their authors.